Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Bachelor Season 21 - More Thoughts On Episode 1


I wasn't fully satisfied with my last post because I felt that I missed some important tidbits from the first night.  So I went back and re-watched the part from after all the women have arrived up until the rose ceremony.

(Also, I think I've figured out how to make gifs and short video clips!)

The part I found most interesting started with Nick's toast to all the ladies and ended with the first one-on-one time with any woman (though it happened to be Rachel).

Tidbit #1 - Jasmine G was the one to hand Nick a drink when he walked in.  Every season, it seems like the person to offer a drink to the lead is someone who gets significant air time.  And I have to believe that this isn't by chance.  Given the structure for the night, no woman is just sitting around for hours with an extra drink.  And not just that, but Jasmine handed Nick either a whiskey neat or a scotch neat.  There's no way she knew Nick's drink - she must have had it handed to her prior to Nick's entrance.

Tidbit #2 - While Nick is giving his opening toast to all the ladies, the camera cuts to show different women at different times.  I believe some of those cuts are intentional:



Notice that when Nick says "But I'm a big believe in not running from your past but letting it kind of help you in the future," notice that the camera cuts directly to Liz (the Doula) with whom Nick apparently had a one-night stand after Jade and Tanner's wedding.

Tidbit #3: Now look at this clip:

via GIPHY

Notice how when Nick mentions finding "the one" there is a quick cut to Danielle L (first one out of the limo).  Then, "someone who's kind of a strong personality" with a cut to Corinne.  Then "and someone who's truly my partner" with a fade to shark/dolphin girl Alexis.

Tidbit #4: Later in his toast he says, "try to make this as normal as possible in an abnormal world" with a cut to Alexis again.  "And if you can do that, you will certainly leave with no regrets" with a quick cut to Corinne.

Tidbit #5: During the whole toast and all the cuts to different women, there are two women who do not get shown at all: Rachel and Vanessa... the two women who might be the best fits for Nick (in terms of personality, maturity, intelligence, age, I could go on).

Tidbit #6: Normally there's a little bit of drama when the first person "steals" the lead away right after the toast.  It's an aggressive move that signifies that the "contest" has begun.  This season, we were not shown that first move and instead, we go from the toast to Nick having one-on-one time with Rachel with no transition.  But what we don't know is if Nick approached her, if she approached him, or where in the night their interaction began.

Tidbit #7: Through a bit of sleuthing, I've found that Corinne was the first person to get one-on-one time with Nick.  We learn this after Corinne stole him for a second time and got the first kiss with him.  Some of the women saw the kiss and were upset.  Whitney says, "Stealing him first and making out with him, that's pretty aggressive."

Tidbit #8: Here's the first kiss of the season (with Corinne).  As Evelyn said while we watched - she kissed him, he didn't kiss her.

via GIPHY

Tidbit #9: Here's the second kiss of the season (with Rachel).  I hate to say it, but there seems to be some passion missing in this kiss.  Nick seemed more into the kiss with Corinne than this one.  It has more of a "I'm kissing the woman I've been dating for a year" feel to it and not a "This is my first kiss with my future wife" feel.

via GIPHY

Favorite Line #1: Courtesy of Astrid, "The last time I dated someone, I didn't know he was dating other people.  At least this time I know."

Favorite Line #2: Courtesy of Nick regarding Alexis the SharDolphin, "I have a shark.  She thinks she's a dolphin.  That's a concern."

Best clip of the night - Nick giving Alexis a rose while still trying to convince her that she's wearing a shark suit and not a dolphin suit...

via GIPHY


No comments: